Fish are unique pets in that they provide both the satisfaction of having and caring for another creature (which can lower stress levels) while also offering some aesthetic benefits to your home. An aquarium with well-cared-for fish can bring some color and excitement to your décor.
For people who have allergies or space limitations in their homes, fish can make for ideal pets. You can find pet fish in just about all colors, sizes, shapes and characteristics. Given the sheer variety you’re likely to encounter when you visit a fish store in Cass County, IA, how do you decide which fish you’re going to take home with you?
Here are a few of the most important issues you should consider when making this decision:
- Your lifestyle: Are you a single adult? Do you have a family with children who want to take part in caring for the fish? How frequently do you travel? These are all considerations you’ll need to take into account. If you travel frequently, you’ll either need to have someone who can care for your fish while you’re gone, or have an automatic feeder set up. If your travel periods are extensive, you may need to have someone come in and care for the tank. If you have children who want to assist in caring for the fish, you’ll likely want to find fish that are easier to manage.
- Fish needs: Any special needs of the fish should be a major consideration when you make your choice. Some fish need specific water temperatures, or require certain levels of filtration. You should also consider the fish’s dietary needs, and the specific needs they have with tank size. Make sure you do your research before selecting a fish—if you cannot provide the fish with what it needs, the fish will not last long in your care.
- Price: The cost of the fish and caring for them will vary. The more individual, specific needs your fish will have, the more costly it will be to care for them. In addition, you can generally expect saltwater fish and caring for them to be more expensive than freshwater alternatives.
- Health: It is important to make sure any fish you select are healthy. If you see any sick or dead fish in the tanks when you’re at the pet store, you should look elsewhere. Signs of a healthy fish include normal breathing with spread fins. You should not see any wounds, the eyes should be clear instead of foggy and all the skin and fins should be intact.
- Commitment: Finally, you should consider your own level of commitment as a prospective fish owner. How much work are you willing to put in? Why do you want fish in the first place? Fish can be more work than one might expect, so do plenty of research ahead of time about the preparations you need to make and the ongoing maintenance fish ownership requires.
For more information about choosing a fish, contact Fish Store Pet Center or visit our fish store in Cass County, IA today.